Delaware County Technical High Schools
Welcome to another school year! Because of the holidays, students will begin at Delaware County Technical Schools on the same day that they begin at Strath Haven: Thursday, September 9th. Details are below:
- AM tech school students will need to take the early bus or get a ride to Strath Haven by 7:10 because the buses to tech school depart at 7:15 from the Brookhaven Road entrance. Bus 22 goes to Aston and Bus 10 goes to Folcroft. A WSSD bus will pick up students 10:20, and when they return to SHHS they will immediately eat "A" lunch before going to their 3rd block class.
- PM tech school students will also eat “A” lunch before getting on the bus at the tennis courts at 10:40. Bus J goes to Aston and Bus I goes to Folcroft. You will return to SHHS about 2:20. You can leave school then or wait for the 5th block bus if transportation is needed.
- Med Careers students will leave 3rd block shortly before C lunch begins to eat and catch the bus at the Providence entrance at 11:40. You will return to SHHS about 2:20. You can leave school then or wait for the 5th block bus if transportation is needed.
IN CASE OF SCHOOL CLOSURES: If Strath Haven's classes are unexpectedly cancelled for the day, students are excused from attending DCTS. Transportation is typically not provided on those days, but students can choose to attend DCTS classes virtually.
Career and Technical EducationStrath Haven students have the opportunity to spend half of each school day studying a particular area of interest at the Delaware County Technical High Schools (DCTS). There are multiple programs in five areas of study:
You can view the virtual open house sessions for each area of study at any time.Students can begin attending DCTS in 10th grade, with opportunities to earn industry certifications and college credits. There are also opportunities for co-op experiences where students apply the skills that they have gained in a professional setting.
- Health and Biosciences
- Engineering and Computer Science
- Logistics, Distribution and Transportation
- Hospitality, Tourism and Human Services
- Construction Technology
Please contact Ms. Smith, Wallingford-Swarthmore's DCTS liaison, in the counseling office for information on visiting campus and applying for admission.
Medical Careers Program
The Medical Careers program allows seniors to earn honors credit while spending one block each day learning and observing in a local hospital. While visitation days are not available for this program, the nurse instructor and current SHHS participants offer an information session at the high school each spring. For additional information or the supplemental application, please contact Ms. Smith, the district's DCTS liaison, in the counseling office. You can view a presentation on the program here: https://youtu.be/jolH5Q-f8tA
Interested students may also want to research summer volunteer opportunities in local hospitals. See the summer opportunities page for more information.
Directions for weather delays and early dismissals - Click Here
Where does Career & Technical Education fit into the modern job market?______________________________________________________________________________________