Volunteer Guidelines and Directions
Background: The Wallingford-Swarthmore School District supports the participation of the community as volunteers to enhance its programs. There are two types of volunteers, Position Volunteers and Guest Volunteers, as defined below.
- Guest Volunteers are those that work under the supervision of a staff member and therefore will not be responsible for the care, supervision, guidance or control of children. Examples of Guest Volunteers are:
In order to become a Guest Volunteer, all you need to do is submit your name when the teacher or staff member requests volunteers and wait for their approval. No background clearances are needed for Guest Volunteers.
- Classroom volunteers working in the classroom or hallways during the instructional day under the general supervision of the teacher
- Chaperones working with students as part of a larger group that is monitored by a certificated staff member
- Position Volunteers are those that will be responsible for the care, supervision, guidance or control of children, and will have routine interaction with children. All Position Volunteers will be required to complete the Volunteer Application and have background clearances on file. Examples of Position Volunteers are:
- Volunteer Coaches
- Field trip chaperones independently responsible for students, other than their own child
- Volunteers working after school to provide programs where classroom teachers are not present
In order to become a Position Volunteer, follow these directions:
- Complete the Volunteer Application (for Position Volunteers only). Electronic users click here.
- Complete all required background clearances as explained below
- Once completed, submit the application and clearances, at the same time, to the main office of your child’s school
Guidelines about Clearances:
- Directions and forms for completing background clearances are located on the District's website in the volunteer section under the Departments tab. Electronic users click here .
- There are three different types of background clearances: PA Child Abuse, PA Criminal, and the FBI Fingerprint. All three are required except for the FBI fingerprint background check, if you have lived in PA continuously for at least 10 years and have not been convicted of any crime, as listed on the Volunteer Application (for Position Volunteers only).
- Presently, the cost for volunteers to get the child abuse and criminal background checks has been waived. The cost for the FBI check is $27.00.
- Clearances must be renewed after five years. New volunteers must have clearances less than five years old.