Academic Eligibility Requirements: Point System
- A grade of F = 2 points
- A grade of D-, D, D+, or I (incomplete) = 1 point
- 3 or more points = Ineligibility
Determination of Eligibility
To be eligible to participate in any extra-curricular activity, the following rules apply:
Student eligibility status will be determined on a weekly basis starting after the third week of each marking period. Any student who accumulates three or more points becomes ineligible for all extracurricular activities for the entire successive marking period UNLESS he/she/they redeem himself/herself/themselves. Athletic eligibility at SHMS is based off a 3-point system. The system is as follows: D (-,+) average is 1 point. F average is 2 points.
Students who obtain three or more points are ineligible to participate in sport or any extracurricular activity for a minimum of one week. The SHMS Guidance Counselors will meet with the student and help outline an academic improvement plan to become eligible once again. An ineligible student may practice if they report to their teacher after school hours for extra help. Students must also obtain notice from said teacher stating that they are receiving help and give the note to the coach/athletic director. This is for practice only, evaluated on a day-to-day basis.
In circumstances with a student who continues to remain ineligible, one or more of the following may occur:
- A parent conference with the student’s team of teachers
- A referral to the child study team
- A strong recommendation for student participation in an after-school homework club
- The assigning of an adult to mentor the student. A student’s eligibility status can be reviewed at any time.
Students deemed ineligible will remain ineligible for one week after the grades are distributed.
* Please see page 4 of the Athletic Handbook for Academic Eligibility Requirements for Extracurricular Activities