Strath Haven High School Syllabus
Course Title: FIT for LIFE
Levels: All levels
Course #: 9895
This course is designed for students who wish to improve their personal fitness level. The course will concentrate on the five components of fitness: muscular strength, muscular endurance, cardiovascular endurance, flexibility, and healthful body composition. Various theories of strength training will be explored, as well as a strong emphasis on the development of core body strength. Students will engage in a variety of cardiovascular challenging activities.
- Students will participate regularly in physical activities that contribute to the attainment of and maintenance of personal physical activity goals.
- Students will participate in a variety of activites designed to expose students to various theories of strength training, cardiovascular workouts, and general core body exercises.
- Students will demonstrate safety practices during all activities.
- Resources include technology, reading materials, media, AAHERD, and JOHERD journals.
Types of Assessments:
- Class participation and preparation
- Written log/journal of strength training activities
- Self check lists
- Worksheets and written tests
- Physical assessments
Students’ grades will be based on a percentage of the total number of points earned each marking period. Ninety percent of the points earned will be based on participation, preparation, and punctuality. Ten percent of the points earned will be based on assessments and assignments.
All members of the school community are expected to be respectful of each other. Negative comments about anyone’s race, nationality, religion, physical appearance or ability, intellectual capacity, gender identity, sexual orientation, work ethic, or character are unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Students are encouraged to discuss any concerns with an adult in the building.