Strawberry-Banana SmoothieRecipe Yield: 4 servings
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup nonfat yogurt
- Carefully measure the strawberries, milk and yogurt.
- Add the bananas, strawberries, milk and yogurt to a blender, using a rubber scraper to make sure you add all of the yogurt.
- Place the lid on the blender & press the “blend” button. After about 30 seconds, turn off the blender, remove the lid and use the rubber scraper to scrape down the sides of the blender jar & stir the ingredients.
Replace the lid and blend again until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Stopping to scrape down the sides and stir if necessary.
- Pour into glasses and serve immediately.
Baked Crescent Churros
1 can (8 oz.) refrigerated crescent dough (or rolls)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons cinnamon-sugar
- Preheat oven to 375o.
- Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Measure cinnamon-sugar into a small bowl.
- Place butter into a separate small bowl. Cover with a paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds or until melted.
- Unwrap crescent roll dough carefully and separate into 4 rectangles on a clean counter surface (if using crescent rolls - press two triangles together to form each rectangle)
- Brush tops of 2 rectangles with melted butter; sprinkle with half of the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Top each rectangle with the remaining rectangle and press the edges lightly.
- Brush tops with melted butter.
- With a pizza cutter, cut each rectangle stack lengthwise into 6 strips. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar.
- Twist each strip 3 times and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Using potholders, remove pan from the oven. Allow to cool for at
least 2 minutes before serving; the Churros will be very hot! Enjoy
Yeast Dough & Pizza
1 package active dry yeast
¾ cup warm water
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon oil
1. Heat ¾ cup water in a glass measuring cup in the microwave for 30-45 seconds. Check the temperature before you continue!
2. Carefully whisk the sugar, oil & yeast into the warm water. Allow the mixture to sit for about 3 minutes—until the yeast develops & a foam forms on the top.
3. Meanwhile, measure the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl & stir with a mixing spoon to combine.
4. Slowly pour the yeast mixture into the flour & stir with a rubber scraper until dough begins to hold together.
5. Scrape all of the dough onto a well-floured surface. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
6. Form the dough into a ball and oil the outside very lightly with a pastry brush. Place in a labeled container & allow to rise in a warm place for 1 to 2 hours.
7. Refrigerate dough to use the following day.
8. Remove dough from refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature.
9. Preheat the oven to 350oF.
10. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll & stretch the dough into a 14” circle. Place the dough on a lightly greased pizza pan & pinch or roll the outer edge to create a small crust.
11. Place the pan on the center rack of the oven & bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
1/3 cup pizza sauce
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
Additional Seasonings to serve!
12. Preheat the oven to 425 oF
13. Spread the sauce evenly on the pizza & top with cheese.
14. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
15. Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly & serve!
Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins
Makes 10 Muffins
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice mix
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup canned pumpkin1/4 cup oil
Pumpkin Pie Spice:
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
½ teaspoon Ground Ginger
½ teaspoon Nutmeg
¼ teaspoon Cloves
1. Preheat oven to 350o.
2. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
3. Measure and combine the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves in a small bowl.
4. Measure flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, & salt into a large bowl. Measure and add the pumpkin pie spice. Stir with a mixing spoon to combine.
5. In a separate medium size bowl, whisk together the egg, pumpkin and oil.
6. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients & mix them together until just combined. Do not over-mix, batter should be slightly lumpy.
7. Use a rubber scraper to fold the cranberries gently into the batter.
8. Carefully spoon the batter into the paper lined muffin tin, filling each about 2/3 of the way. Wipe any excess batter from the edges of the pan.
9. Place on the center rack in the oven & bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean._____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Healthy Whole-Wheat Pancakes
Yield: 8-10 small pancakes
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup white flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
1 Tbsp white sugar
1 large egg
1 cup water
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
To Make the Mix:
Carefully measure all of the dry ingredients into a large zip-lock bag & seal it tightly. Shake or knead to make sure all ingredients are evenly combined.
To Make the Pancakes:
1. Pour dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the wet ingredients together until combined.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix until ingredients are JUST BARELY combined, the batter should still be slightly lumpy!
4. Place a skillet on the largest burner & turn the heat to MEDIUM. When a few drops of water bubble on the pan, spray it lightly with cooking spray.
5. Use a ¼ cup dry measuring cup to pour the batter onto the hot pan. When the batter starts to bubble & the edges begin to set, add any toppings if using & then use a spatula to carefully flip the pancakes. Allow them to cook until lightly browned then remove them from the pan. Repeat with remaining batter.
*Notes: if you don’t have nonfat dry milk, replace the dry milk powder & water with 1 cup of milk. If you like thinner pancakes, increase the water or milk to 1 ½ cups._____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Pasta & Marinara Sauce
2 cups dried pasta
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups crushed tomatoes with puree
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon salt
Parmesan Cheese for topping J
1. Fill a large saucepot ¾ full of water and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Put the lid on the pot and place it on the burner. Turn the burner on HIGH.
2. When the water is boiling, carefully place the pasta in the pot and stir. Leave the lid OFF and allow the water to boil again.
3. When the water boils the second time, turn the heat to medium and set the timer for 10 minutes. Allow pasta to cook, stirring occasionally.
4. When the pasta has finished cooking, pour the pasta and water into a strainer in the sink. Pour the pasta into a medium bowl & add marinara sauce when it is ready.
1. Measure 1 ½ cups of tomato puree in a liquid measuring cup & set it aside.
2. While the pasta is cooking, place the olive oil and garlic into a small glass bowl and stir with a rubber scraper to combine. Cover the bowl with a small piece of paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds.
3. Use a rubber scraper to scrape the oil & garlic into the tomatoes in the large liquid measuring cup. Add the Italian seasoning and salt and stir to combine all ingredients.
4. Cover the measuring cup with a piece of paper towel & microwave for 1 ½ minutes. Remove the sauce from the microwave and stir it. When your pasta is almost ready, microwave the sauce for 1 additional minute.
5. When the pasta is finished cooking, pour the sauce over top, stir them together with a pasta server and top with parmesan cheese to serve. Enjoy!_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Baked Mozzarella Sticks
6 reduced-fat Mozzarella string cheese sticks
2 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1. Several hours in advance, remove cheese sticks from their packaging, cut each stick in half & place in the freezer until completely frozen.
2. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400o. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil & spray lightly with cooking spray.
3. Measure the flour into a small bowl and set aside.
4. Crack the egg into a separate small bowl & whisk until it is foamy.
5. In a third bowl, measure the Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese, panko breadcrumbs and seasoned breadcrumbs. Stir to combine.
6. Roll one piece of cheese stick in flour until coated, then carefully dip it into the egg, allowing excess egg to drip off.
7. Roll cheese in bread crumb mixture, pressing to make sure they are coated completely.
8. Place coated cheese sticks on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat the dipping & coating process with remaining cheese sticks.
9. When all cheese sticks have been coated, spray them lightly with cooking spray.
10. Place the tray on a rack positioned in the center of the oven. Bake for 5 minutes.
11. Remove the tray from the oven and use tongs to flip the cheese sticks over. Return them to the oven to cook for 4-5 additional minutes.
12. Carefully remove the baked mozzarella sticks from the pan with a spatula. Allow them to cool slightly before serving.