Mrs. Michele Rufo
You can help this be a successful year by:
1. getting your child to school by 8:45.
2. sending a yellow note if your child’s dismissal procedure changes.
3. sending a green note after an absence
4. returning information, forms, etc. in a time manner.
5. labeling all your child’s belongings.
6. helping with homework.
7. seeing that your child gets sufficient rest at night.
8. e-mailing party invitations to classmates.
You can help in our classroom by:
1. chaperoning class trips (three during the year).
2. helping with class parties (three during the year).
3. volunteering in the classroom (Oct.-May).
Our Daily Schedule:
Language Arts - Reading, Phonics, Spelling
Special Subjects (phys. ed., music, library, art, guidance)
First Grade Curriculum:
Reading Street (Pearson)
Math in Focus
Handwriting Without Tears
Writing Workshop - Lucy Culkins
Explore My World - Maps and Globes
STC science kits – Solids/Liquids, Weather, Organisms, Measuring
1. WES guidelines recommend10 to 20 minutes of homework for first grade.
2. The children will take home and return their homework in their Homework Folders.
3. Assignments will include Reading, Math, and Spelling.
4. Homework is meant to provide practice or reinforcement of skills already learned. Please encourage neatness and correctness.
5. Homework should be done with an adult. If ever you do not have time to help with homework due to family or work commitments, please send me a note.
6. No homework is given on Fridays.
Parent e-mail blasts
Weekly reminder/homework sheets
Monthly newsletters (paper and electronic)
Winter/Spring report cards
Lastly, I make a promise to the children to do my best to make our classroom a happy, fun, and safe place to learn this year. I promise you that I will do my best to educate and care for your child this year. I am here to work with you to provide the best education for your child. Please do not hesitate to call at school 610-892-3470, x4833 (7:30 or 3:45 are best times), e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org), or write a note about concerns and/or questions. I am looking forward to a great year!