7th Grade Family and Consumer Sciences
Strath Haven Middle School Mrs. Ackerman/Ms. Strolli 2019-20
7th Grade Family and Consumer Sciences is a 12-week class designed to provide you with a foundation in the areas of: consumer economics, culinary arts, food science, and nutrition and wellness. Learning is facilitated through coursework which includes cooperative, interactive, and laboratory-based experiences. The disciplines of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) are integrated throughout the curriculum.
Family and consumer sciences education will challenge you to think critically and creatively, problem solve, and work effectively. The essential knowledge and skills developed through family and consumer sciences will benefit you in your daily life and prepare you for future success in college, career, and family and community life.
Among the areas of study include:
- Consumer Awareness – Advertising Strategies, Cost Comparisons, Product Labeling, Resources, Rights and Responsibilities
- Food Science & Food Preparation - Equipment Use, Equivalents and Measurements, Food Safety Guidelines, Kitchen Safety Procedures, Recipe Analysis and Application
- Nutrition & Wellness - ChooseMyPlate.gov/Food Groups, Dietary Guidelines, Food Allergies, Healthy Food Options, Nutrition Labeling
Points are earned for: cooperation, clean-up, effort, following directions, homework, labs, participation, projects, quizzes, and written assignments.
Grading is done on a total point system based on the following percentages:
100%-90% = A 89%-80% = B 79%-70% = C 69%-60% = D 59% or below = F
All missed work, including labs, must be made up. An alternate assignment is available for missed labs. Assignments handed in late (without excuse) may receive reduced credit.
You are expected to attempt all assignments and demonstrate average or better success.
All students participating in culinary labs are expected to know and follow classroom procedures. I have explained the following expectations with your child and would like for you to speak with them about class policies and the importance of a safe environment. Students must pass a lab safety quiz before participating in culinary labs.
- Be in the classroom in your seat when the bell rings at the beginning and end of class. Do not stand near the door. Arriving late without a pass, leaving class early, or standing near the door may result in detention
- Raise your hand if you want to speak. Do not blurt; it is rude and disrespectful.
- Pay attention and follow directions: Be quiet when teacher is talking.
- Be responsible and participate: Have your folder and pencil daily and stay on task.
- Strive to do your best: Complete all work on time.
- Remain seated in your assigned seat.
- NO cell phones!
- Work for the good of the group. Do not distract your classmates. Keep hands and feet to yourself. Stay in your lab unit.
- Respect equipment. Use with care. Return items in clean condition to the proper location.
Failure to follow through with the above may result in:
-Phone call to parent
-Detention with teacher
-Removal from activity
-Behavior documented and administrator notified - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Complete, sign, and return ONLY this section to the teacher by_______________________
I understand the content of this class and the criteria for evaluation.
I am aware that I am expected to follow classroom and safety rules as discussed in class.
Student Name (Printed)______________________________________________________________
Parent /Guardian Signature___________________________________________________________
Food Allergies: _____No ______Yes (Note: Describe any allergic reactions to food; disliked foods are not to be listed.)
This form must be returned to your teacher in order to participate in culinary labs. A signed form also earns you points for the class!