Math in Focus:
- Helps students build solid conceptual understanding through a focus on problem solving. Students will learn the "why" and the "how" through instruction, hands-on activities, and problem solving.
- Is organized to teach fewer concepts at each level, but to teach them thoroughly. When a concept appears at a subsequent grade level, it is always at a higher or deeper level.
In Grade 1, students will focus on four critical areas:
- Developing understanding of addition, subtraction, and strategies for additionand subtraction within 20
- Developing understanding of whole numberrelationships and place value, including grouping in tens and ones
- Developing understanding of linear measurement and measuring lengths asiterating length units
- Reasoning about attributes of, and composingand decomposing geometric shapes.