Chapter 14 Requirements
Effective July 1, 2008, the Pennsylvania State Board of Education added new requirements for the training and education of paraprofessionals who support students receiving special education services. These regulations are as follows:
1. Special education instructional support staff must meet one of the following qualifications, effective July 1, 2010:
- Have completed at least two years of post-secondary study,
- Possess an associates degree or higher, or
- Meet a rigorous standard of quality as documented through a state or local assessment.
Beginning with the 2010-2011 year, the District will implement a local assessment for all special education instructional support staff who do not meet the first two criteria.
2. Effective July 1, 2008, the following requirements for continuing staff development for paraprofessionals will be in effect.
- All instructional support staff will attend 20 hours of staff development activities related to their assignment each year
- All personal care assistants providing one-to-one support and assistance will attend 20 hours of staff development activities related to their assignment each year.
Each year, the District will offer a 20-hour training program to satisfy the above requirements. Employees who attend classes other than the District-provided training may use the following form to request to substitute hours.