SHHS School Counseling Department
Dear Students,What is happening in our communities, those close by and far away, is deeply troubling and provokes complex feelings in all of us. While it may feel like we are really distant and unable to support you in the traditional sense, we remain committed to being a source of comfort and familiarity to you. If you would like to talk, please reach out to us so we can connect over the platform that you prefer.Most sincerely,Your school counselors___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Real Talk is a series of virtual info sessions from College Board aimed at "connecting Black students to college".
Next week there are two sessions scheduled to discuss HBCUs. Later this month, the topic is Paying for College.
For more information, please visit cb.org/realtalk.
PHEAA Financial Aid Night
Please join us for a financial aid presentation by Frances McKeown of the PHEAA on Monday, November 29th at 6:30 pm. She will present an overview of the financial aid process and answer your questions. Here is the zoom link:
Topic: Jennifer Salvage (she/her)'s Zoom Meeting 6:30 pm PHEAA
Time: Nov 29, 2021 06:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 863 4158 7323
INFORMATION FOR THE CLASS OF 2022
In a typical year, the High School counselors meet with the Junior class to talk about next steps in post-secondary planning during the first week in June. This year, in order to get the information out to everyone, it seemed that creating a video would be a more efficient means of communication.
All members of the class of 2022 are strongly encouraged to pay close attention to the information presented here in this video so that they know what is expected of them now, over the summer, and when they return to school in the Fall and so that they are in the best position to make decisions that will help them achieve their post-secondary goals. If students or parents have any questions, their school counselors are happy to talk to them.
Forms to complete before Fall semester
Common Application Essay Prompts - click HERE
College Campuses are Closed…How to Visit Virtually
- College websites’ own virtual tours
- Follow college admissions’ social media
- Reach out to local alumni from SHHS to get their impressions and ask questions
- Youvisit.com offers virtual reality and 360 views of many college campuses
- Youniversitytv.com - Informal student-led tours, not sanctioned by the colleges, but these have student perspectives. Take these with a grain of salt – consider the source!
- The Student Life tab in Naviance provides lots of helpful data including ethnicity statistics, average age of students, % living on campus, etc...
- Collegexpress.com’s Lists and Rankings pages – great information about school culture and distinctive features
- Don’t forget about reaching out to admissions office representatives! Use this time to create a list of questions based on the research that you do and email those admissions reps. They are there to help you learn about their schools and whether a particular school is the right fit for you. You can usually find the name of your regional admissions representative on a college’s admissions website. Our admissions reps’ names are also sometimes listed in Naviance. This is a terrific way to demonstrate your interest in a college. Don’t forget to write professional, carefully worded, and proofread emails.
College Essay Resources
The College Essay Guy - 7 Great College Essay Tips to Help You Out
Georgia Tech Admission Blog - College Admission Essays: "I've Heard That One Before"
Tulane Admission Blog - "Ten Tips for an Epic College Essay"
Delaware County Community College: College for a Day
High school juniors and seniors are invited to visit Delaware County Community College for a day of hands-on experiences. Students will: Explore majors, Meet current students and professors, learn how to apply and pay for college, and Tour Campus.
QUESTIONS? Contact Amber Moore | 610-723-4950 | email@example.com
Marple Campus | 901 South Media Line Road | Media, PA 19063Delaware County Community College - Dual Enrollment Program - CHECK THIS OUT!!!!DCCC is pleased to announce a special opportunity for high school juniors and seniors. Students may enroll in college classes at DCCC while completing their high school curriculum. Eligible juniors may take up to 9 credits, and seniors may take up to 12 credits at the amazing reduced rates of $50 per credit (with fees included) for a sponsoring school district, and $100 per credit (with fees included) for a non-sponsoring district. The $25 application fee is also waived. For more information call 610-359-5333 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out the website as well - www.dccc.edu/highschoolClick here for more information and registration form - DCCC Dual Enrollment Information and Registration Form_____________________________________________________________________________
Financial Aid presentation by Frances McKeown from PHEAA_____________________________________________________________________________STANDARDIZED TESTING INFORMATION - SAT Test: Click HereACT Test: Click HereATTENTION CLASS OF 2022!! - Are you confused about the college application process?Click here for the complete Guide To College PlanningSeniors - this LINK is a very informative video concerning linking the Common App and Naviance!Look for scholarship and summer opportunities information on the SHHS guidance page. Information is always being added and updated - please be aware of scholarship/summer application deadlines!Remember to click on the SAT-ACT-AP Information link on this webpage for a multitude of test prep options - including free, practice standardized tests and test prep tutors!SAT Registration: Students may register online at http://www.collegeboard.org. The test center number for SHHS is 39-700. The code number for Strath Haven High School is 395-015.ACT Registration: You may register online at http://www.actstudent.org. The test center code for SHHS is 216670. The high school code for SHHS is 395-015.