8th Grade Music Technology Lab
Mrs. Van Druff
The second Current event article is due for Group 1 Friday, March 8, AND Group 2, Friday , March 15.
♫♫Welcome to SHMS 8th Grade Music!♫♫
Below is the information for 2012-2013
8th Grade Keyboard Lab
General Music Goal and Philosophy
The General Music Program is designed to give students a ‘Hands On’ experience in Making Music through understanding the various components and styles of music. It is the goal to address the National Standards for the music curriculum by encouraging students to broaden their individual knowledge of the fundamentals through student design of creative musical compositions.
The 8th grade curriculum builds upon the 7th grade curriculum using the fundamentals of music.
This is a Project Oriented class.
- We are ‘Going GREEN’ using our P and T Drives and ‘My Big Campus’ in the music technology lab. Paper copies of projects will be available to any student who requests one.
- ‘Current Music Events’ articles may also be handed in electronically. (Each student is responsible for 2 articles per quarter.)
- It is a goal to strengthen creative writing and communication as it pertains to music.
- Each student has their own work station, computer, MIDI keyboard, and needed software.
- We will be working on projects teaching concepts such as:
Musical Motifs, Polyrhythms, Improvisation, Pentatonic Scale, 12 Bar Blues, and Theme and Variations.
Students will only need a folder to hold the project papers they request and any work they may want to print and keep. Folders may be stored in the keyboard lab. All other work in this class is done via computer. Work is distributed, saved, and received in Hand Out and Hand In folders on the T Drive of all school computers. A thumb drive is sometimes essential if the student’s projects are large files.
Positive learning attitude
Completion and performance of projects
Good group participation and effective use of class time
Demonstrated understanding of musical concepts
Creativity of assignments
Care of equipment
Preparedness for class
I am looking forward to an exciting year in our keyboard lab with computer MIDI work stations. This program is sure to address the needs of a wide scope of musical interests and abilities. It is designed to encourage students to develop their creative talents and explore new musical ideas beyond the fundamentals of notation.
If you have any questions or feel that there is something that I should know about your child that would make their musical experience more fulfilling, please call or e-mail me.
email@example.com OR 610-892-3470 ( x7137 )